Sunday, November 11, 2012

My Vietnam-era Veteran Days

When I graduated from college in 1967, career choices were limited to Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard. I originally applied for the Navy, but my eyesight prevented me from being a line officer – although I could be a supply officer. I decided to go across the hall and sign up with the Air Force. That was the fall of 1966. I had a reporting date of 22 Aug 67. I had a great summer playing golf 7 days/week from dawn until dark.

At Fort Jackson, SC we were inspected and processed. I flew that night to San Antonio, TX where we were bused to Lackland AFB. We inprocessed all night, got our uniforms, our haircuts, our rooms and had briefings all day. We got to bed about 2300.

I graduated from Officer Training School on 17 Nov 67. Mom and Dad pinned my 2nd Lt bars on – engraved MOM and POP. My next assignment was graduate school, so I was a “pipeline student” awaiting the opening of school in January 1968. I lived in the Visiting Officers Quarters and had to call at 0800 and 1300 for duties of the day. There were none, so I played golf on the nearby base course.

I cut this grueling routine short to be my baby brother's best man.

I drove to Columbia, MO in January 1968. It was raining, but this turned to freezing rain, sleet and then snow as I went north. I finally stopped at Scott AFB in Illinois for the night.

One of the great things about the military is the sponsor program. Mine was 1st Lt Chester D. (Chet) Smith. We had written each other beforehand and, I contacted him as soon as I arrived. We became good friends. Chet renamed me Chuck.

I graduated – just barely – with a M.S. degree in August 1969. I was distracted for the entire 18 months by the abundance of beautiful, sweet young ladies at the University, Stephens and Christian Colleges. I had an apartment on Stephens College.

My next assignment was in Space Systems at the NORAD complex inside Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado Springs, CO. I was there for 3 ½ years. I married Patty Rhoads on 17 Mar 72. We moved into a new house on Enchanted Circle North, and I got orders for Australia. The location was classified, but Chip can figure it out since he was born there on 5 Oct 1973. Mister (surgeon) Robertson delivered him. I had 6 weeks of training in Denver before leaving the states. The high temperature was minus 11 during a two week period. That prepared us well for Hawaii, American Samoa (refueling), Christchurch, N.Z., Sydney (Richmond AB) and finally 118 degrees on 24 Dec 72 in Woomera all by C-141.

Lots of babies were born during the 2 years in Australia. The rumor is that it was caused by drinking Harvey Wallbangers while listening to Neil Diamond's Hot August Night!

We left in December 1974 for Niceville, FL and Eglin AFB. I became a Senior Director at the phased-array radar 20 miles to the east. Tracy was born at Eglin AFB on 28 May 75. Capt Collier delivered her.

I left family and friends in June 1976 for a remote assignment at the top of the world in Thule, Greenland. I was Senior Director for the BMEWS site. Most work on the Air Base and surrounding roads was done by Danes trying to escape the onerous taxes in Denmark. I fell in love with ABBA's music during my year there because most of our entertainment copied this #1 group at the time.

I returned to Niceville and Eglin AFB in June 1977. Marty Glasser and I were the only people eligible for Master of Space Defense. I had Expert ranking in satellite-based, tracking and fan and phased-array detection systems. The 300-question test would have been easy since I had written most of the questions as Chief of Training at Woomera, Eglin and Thule. I did want the trip to Colorado Springs for CINCNORAD to present the award, but I would exit the military in January 1979.

No comments:

Post a Comment